Position Title: Finance & Admin Manager
Job Category: Managerial
Reports to: Deputy Executive Director
Additional instruction from: Executive Director
Supervises: Finance Officers, Sr. Finance Officer, and General Service coordinator
Location: EMwA Head Office, Addis Ababa
Grade Level: XII
Employment Type: Full time
Salary: As per the organization salary scale
About the Organization:
Ethiopian Midwives Association (EMwA) is a legally registered, autonomous, and not-for-profit professional association established in 1992 and re-registered under the new civil society proclamation. Ethiopian Midwives Association (EMwA) operates in all regions of Ethiopia by using and works for the quality of midwifery education and care. EMwA has been a member of the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM) since 1993.
The primary goal of EMwA is to contribute towards the reduction of maternal and child mortality and morbidity in Ethiopia, which are the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) global initiatives. The vision of the association is to see every woman, newborn, and their family have access to standard midwifery care. The mission of the association is to promote and enhance the expansion, performance and status of midwifery profession through adapting quality and evidence based practices; adhering to the code of ethics and conduct empowering the professionals.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director and following the EMwA’s financial and accounting policies and procedures, the Manager, Admin and Finance Department is responsible for managing and leading all financial matters of the association. The Finance and admin Manager plays a key role in ensuring effective, efficient and professional operations of the Finance Department and ensures that the highest standards of financial management to be achieved; the donors’ and the government’s rules, regulations and requirement compliance are met. S/he coordinates the planning, organizing, coordinating and implementing the duties and responsibilities of the Finance Department; ensure proper management of EMwA’s assets and coordinate the preparation of financial reports. S/he is responsible to manage financial operation of EMwA at all levels and oversee the works of employees under his/her chain of command. Including, S/he is responsible for planning, directing and coordinating the administrative functions of organizations among their key work duties as well.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes, leads, coordinates and supervises the activities of the department.
- Formulates finance policy and procedures and implement same when approved by the Executive Board
- Formulates and proposes financial strategies to be used in the long-term financial plans for the Association.
- Monitors and supervises the association’s financial condition through the proper implementation of management of accounting systems.
- Prepares/Updates the Association’s financial manuals in accordance to changes in legislation or regulations that may affect its operation.
- Ensures the periodic preparation of financial statements and reports to higher officials of the Association.
- Ensures sound cash management of bank accounts and maintains adequate petty cash fund.
- Develop and maintain internal control systems to safeguard the EMwA’s assets and facilitate internal and external Audits.
- Advises management during the acquisition of capital equipment.
- Maintains accurate books and subsidiaries.
- Ensure smooth operation of all financial matters of the Association.
- Supports and oversees the finance team working on different financial transactions or different projects.
- Ensures transactions are properly recorded and entered into the System on timely basis as per the finance policy of the Association.
- Reviews bank reconciliations and tracks the updates.
- Reviews payroll process and all related payments.
- Regularly visits projects and assists them in financial reporting and internal control related matters.
- Participates to develop annual plan that includes management’s concern is aligned to the strategic plan and submits for review and approval and periodic updates;
- Actively participates on Project Proposal development, Project planning and budgeting
- Implements the annual plan of the Department, including any special tasks or projects approved by the Management and /or the Executive Director;
- Guides Departments /Units to integrate their operational plan with the financial plan and ensure budget utilization periodic updates shared every month.
- Facilitates the development and review of financial management, budgeting and control, property administration policies and procedures; Ensure that the EMwA’s financial policies and practices comply with relevant laws, standards, regulations and donor requirements.
- Ensures that proper books of accounts and records are maintained in line with the association’s financial policies and procedures:
- Ensures the preparation and consolidation of budget, disbursement transfer of funds, budget variance tracking report and analysis as per the association’s policies and procedures;
- Direct, lead, guide, orient, support and control staff responsible to him/her to ensure that they are appropriately motivated and trained to meet all targets of EMwA and that they carry out their responsibilities to the required standards;
- Manage performance evaluation of staff under his/her supervision based on HR policy and Performance Management Guideline of the association;
- Conduct regular meetings with finance staff to discuss ways and means of improving work systems in the Finance Department.
- Establish and maintain networks and good relationships with other Departments /Units, employees and other stakeholders as necessary:
- Prepare periodic reports and budgets concerning the activities of the association and share for respective bodies for information and further action as required.
- Perform other duties assigned to him /her by the immediate supervisor
Job Requirements (Must Criteria)
- Education: MA/MBA/ BA Degree in Accounting, Accounting & Finance or other related field of studies.
- Experience: 4/8 years out of which 3/4 years should be in managerial position. Experience in I/NGO environment or working in donor based financial systems are advantageous.
- Additional Training:
- Peachtree Accounting Training Certificate
- Other Accounting application Software training certificate is advantageous
- Demonstrate commitment to the vision, mission, core values, aims and principles of EMwA, including equal opportunity, gender sensitivity.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and foster trust and respect.
- Flexible and able to work well under pressure.
- Strong team leader and team player
- Good facilitation and coordination skills
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of managing grants of multiple funding organizations
- Knowledge of Peachtree Accounting system
- Strong MS office and the ability to use new technologies
- Accuracy and preciseness
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Amharic
Desired Criteria (An Asset)
- Understanding of Financial software like HACT system, Navision, SUN system, etc.
Interested and qualified applicants who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit their applications through this https://emwa.org.et/application-form/ .Please attached your CV and Application letter in one page PDF indicating your full name. Applications should include contact details of three professional references.
- A cover letter / application letter (not more than one page)
- A CV (not more than 4 pages)
- A one-page table summarizing your educational background, work experience, technical skills and competencies to facilitate the screening process. Refer the vacancy announcement while doing this.
Please DO NOT SUBMIT scanned copies of transcripts, academic degrees or recommendation letters with your application. You will provide them upon request.
- Please, indicate the position/title applied for in your cover letter and/or subject of the email
- Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
- Only qualified applicants will be short listed and contacted.
- All travel and/or recruitment related the applicant should cover costs..
APPLICATION START ON: March 15, 2023
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: March 28, 2023